Student Eligibility (Undergraduates)
- You must be a high school graduate 18 years or older and enrolled in an academic program
- The attending school/university must be a Virtua Affiliate
- The purpose for the internship must be relevant to the course of study
- You must be able to provide the name and contact information of a school coordinator responsible for student placements.
- Note: At the present time, Virtua offers an observership to individuals interested in pursuing a career as a MD or DO. All applicants must make arrangements with a physician prior to completing the application. Please visit the Graduate Medical Education page.
Parking for Students
- Parking at a Virtua site may be limited depending on the assigned location. Anyone parking in patient, visitor or otherwise reserved parking areas may be subject to fines. Review parking instructions.
Student Affiliate Internships and Shadowing FAQs
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN INTERNSHIP AND SHADOWING?
- An internship is relevant experience given to an eligible individual seeking to complete the requirements of an educational program who desires a limited hands-on experience for a period of more than 25 hours. Only students fulfilling educational program requirements will be considered for student affiliate internships.
- Shadowing is observation only. At the present time Virtua does not offer shadowing opportunities of any kind. Students related to Virtua employees included until further notice.
CAN I CONTACT THE STUDENT AFFILIATE COORDINATOR DIRECTLY?
- We do not recommend students attempting to coordinate placement on their own. The student affiliate coordinator requires information that can only be provided by an authorized representative of the academic institution. Students seeking general information are welcomed to send inquires to SAC@virtua.org indicating the purpose for the email in the subject line.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PROCESS MY INDIVIDUAL PLACEMENT REQUEST?
- The length of time can vary depending on the number of pending requests, department/resource availability, and current status of the affiliate agreement between the academic institution and Virtua. We will try to process as many requests as possible while maintaining patient care as our first priority.
WHERE DO I FIND THE INFORMATION FOR THE REQUIRED HEALTH SCREENINGS?
- Many of the questions relate to your childhood vaccinations, Annual PPD (with negative results), and Drug screening (with negative results) and must be kept up to date. A copy of these records must be provided for consideration of placement. You may obtain these records from your family physician or the academic institutions health center.
HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED IF ACCEPTED?
- Students will receive notification of acceptance from an authorized designee from the academic institution or via email from Virtua’s Student Affiliate Coordinator with instructions on next steps.