Virtua Voorhees and Virtua Memorial hospitals provide pediatric inpatient services for children who need to be hospitalized. There are many reasons that a child may require hospital care.
Some of those reasons include (but are not limited to):
Care exclusively for children
The units at each hospital have private rooms for pediatric patients. Rooms are kid-friendly, complete with amenities for the comfort of the entire family including sleeping accommodations for a parent or caregiver.
In addition, each room is equipped with:
- Television with child-friendly movies
- Video gaming system
- Internet access
Each unit also offers:
- A teen area equipped with computers with Internet access
- A parent respite area where moms and dads can make calls, check e-mail and rejuvenate
- A procedural room for minor treatments (Voorhees only)
At Virtua, we know that every family is unique. Knowing that, we ensure that:
- Every family is accepted and respected for its differences.
- Care is provided in a nurturing and comforting environment.
- Patients, families and all members of the Virtua community are treated with dignity and respect.
- Communication is compassionate and caring.
- Care is provided in close and flexible partnerships with families.
- Empowerment is achieved by sharing complete and accurate information and education with families based on their individual needs.
In order to share complete and accurate information with families, Virtua practices multi-disciplinary rounding. This means that patients’ doctors, nurses, nutrition experts and certified child-life specialists visit each room regularly. During their visit, they update the parents on their child’s care plan. This ensures that the parents are involved in their child’s care. It also ensures that the plan of care stays consistent and that the continuity of care among providers is seamless.
Child life specialists are essential members of the healthcare team who collaborate with families to support pediatric patients. They help to minimize the stress associated with a visit to the emergency department or an admission to the inpatient unit at the hospital.
Child life specialists:
- Provide developmentally and age-appropriate preparation prior to medical experiences
- Explore coping techniques
- Offer distraction during invasive procedures
Child development experts also offer opportunities for play, expressive outlets and therapeutic activities such as medical play to help normalize a hospital visit.
- Board-certified pediatricians, family physicians and other specialists who care for children
- Pediatric specialized inpatient and emergency nurses
- Pediatric specialists
- Child-life specialists to help children and families manage illnesses
- Comprehensive care for children
- Child-friendly emergency services
- Intensive care for babies and children
- Fitness and nutrition classes for kids
- Educational programs and support groups for parents and teens
Why Virtua for Children's Health?
To learn more about Virtua's Children's Health program, please call 1-888-VIRTUA-3 (1-888-847-8823)
- Virtua partners with Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to provide pediatric care
- CHOP has earned the No. 1 spot on U.S. News & World Report's 2013-14 Honor Roll of the nation’s Best Children’s Hospitals.
- All of Virtua’s emergency departments meet the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines for emergency services
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Level II Special Care Nursery
- Virtua has distinguished itself with a premier maternity program, delivering more than 8,000 babies a year