Mental and behavioral health is just as important to an individual's overall quality of life as physical well-being. However, the warning signs of mental illness or behavioral problems are not as noticeable as physical conditions.
During emotional and difficult times, people of all ages may need more support than family and friends can provide. They need help from professionals such as psychiatrists, psychologists or licensed social workers.
Virtua provides the following to help individuals who need emotional or psychological assistance:
- Board-certified psychiatrists
- Support groups
- Outpatient counseling for individuals, groups and families with psychiatrists, psychologists and licensed clinical social workers
- 24-hour care in a voluntary, inpatient psychiatric unit at Virtua Memorial
Support and treatment for children
Virtua’s Children Achieving Success through Therapeutic Life Experiences (CASTLE) program provides care for children with mild to severe emotional and behavioral problems.
CASTLE serves children who are diagnosed with the following:
- Attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity
- Anxiety and mood disorders
- Oppositional defiant and conduct disorders
- Aggressive or abusive behaviors
- Emotional problems
- Suicidal thoughts or self-abusive behavior
The three levels of care include:
Children ages 3 through 15 attend the program during typical school hours and receive a complement of intensive therapeutic and academic services. CASTLE also offers a Therapeutic Nursery serving children 3 to 5 years old. Comprehensive mental health and academic services are provided during this full-day program.
Children attend the program after school and receive comprehensive mental health services.
Children ages 3 to 17 meet with a therapist approximately once per week for individual and/or family therapy to help with issues related to home, school and social situations. Additional services include group therapy, monthly medication management and psychiatric evaluations with a psychiatrist and/or advanced practice nurse.
Learn more about CASTLE’s comprehensive services.
CASTLE operates Monday through Friday from 9 am to 7 pm on the campus of Virtua Camden. Mental health services are paid for by Medical Assistance, and educational services are paid for by the child's school district. Door-to-door transportation is offered to eligible participants, and meals and snacks are provided each day.
For more information, call 1-888-VIRTUA-3 (1-888-847-8823).
Virtua Provides . . .
- Virtua Memorial’s 24-hour voluntary, inpatient psychiatric care unit
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
- Children Achieving Success through Therapeutic Life Experiences (CASTLE) program