The birth of a baby can be one of the most wonderful events in woman's life. Becoming a mother, however, is a major adjustment and each woman adjusts in different ways. Some women experience the baby blues, some are overwhelmed and some develop postpartum depression.
Virtua offers several services to help women throughout the postpartum adjustment period and beyond:
Depression screening in the hospital after delivery
- Weekly postpartum depression support group
- Education on treatment options that may include medication and/or counseling
- Coordination with the patient's obstetrician
- Additional support through follow-up telephone calls
- Happiest Baby on the Block class to help parents learn to soothe fussy babies
For information and referrals, Virtua also offers postpartum depression telephone support at 1-866-380-2229, 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
If you are having any thoughts of harming yourself or your baby, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Find a specialist
Sometimes, women need more than a support group to help with postpartum depression. If you need help finding a psychologist or psychiatrist, please call 1-888-VIRTUA-3 (1-888-847-8823).