Exercising and eating right on a regular basis can help individuals dramatically reduce their risk for heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis and other diseases.
Benefits of Exercise
Through physical activity and proper nutrition, people also can:
- Strengthen and tone muscles
- Burn calories and fat
- Increase stamina, metabolism and energy
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Decrease blood pressure
- Increase heart rate
- Enhance quality of life
- Improve self confidence
Virtua's Fitness Programs
Many need a little encouragement to get started and to maintain their personal fitness goals.
Virtua can help individuals make the transition from dreaming a healthier lifestyle to achieving their realistic goals. Virtua approaches health and wellness from a medically-integrated perspective. Virtua offers three state-of-the-art facilities that offer a large selection of individualized health, fitness and educational programs for community members as well as patients who have chronic health conditions.
The facilities include:
All three provide classes and seminars offered by health and fitness professionals on a variety of wellness topics. Memberships begin with a personalized health assessment conducted by a degreed fitness specialist. The comprehensive analysis includes:
- Computerized health risk assessment
- Flexibility screening
- Skin fold body composition analysis to measure percentage of body fat
- Resting blood pressure and heart rate
- Graded cardiovascular capacity test
- Muscular strength assessment
Staff members include highly trained registered dietitians and certified and degreed fitness professionals who can develop individualized exercise programs. Some of the more popular and successful programs include:
- Virtua's Center for Weight Management: A comprehensive, medically based weight management program integrating nutrition, fitness and behavior/lifestyle modifications. The services are available for both children and adults.
- HERO (Healthy Emergency Response Organizations: A program that provides fitness and wellness services and education to emergency first responders.
- Personal training: Opportunities are available for members to work one-on-one or in small groups with a certified personal trainer for hands-on guidance with fitness activities.
- Center for Athletic Performance (sports fitness and performance): A sport-specific training program designed to provide a complete strength and conditioning regimen for athletes.
For more information about Virtua's fitness programs, visit www.VirtuaFitness.org or call 1-888-VIRTUA-3 (1-888-847-8823).