Virtua Pediatric Diagnostic Imaging in partnership with CHOP provides the same level of advanced radiological services that you would expect from the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) without leaving New Jersey.
Virtua Pediatric Diagnostic Imaging provides:
- Advanced technology for the lowest radiation dose possible
- Expert clinical team includes CHOP physicians and CHOP sedation nurses
- Sedation for appropriate patients is administered by CHOP staff
- Studies are read by a board-certified pediatric radiologist ensuring the highest quality interpretation
- Results are sent to referring physician within 24 hours
- A child life specialist is onsite to ease children’s anxiety and help complete imaging studies without sedation, when appropriate
Pediatric Radiology Services:
- Computed tomography (CT scan): Our 64-slice, mulitdetector CT scanner provides high definition 3D images with the lowest radiation dose possible. It also delivers images faster for a more comfortable experience.
- Fluoroscopy: Modern pulsed fluoroscopy equipment is specifically designed to provide high-quality images with the lowest radiation dose.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): Our 3 Tesla MRI system is designed to maximize patient comfort with a 70 centimeter wide open bore. The faster, more powerful system provides uncompromised imaging capability for the most advanced pediatric exams. It also allows for some movement by the patient, reducing the need for sedation.
- Nuclear medicine: A SPECT/CT nuclear medicine camera allows us to offer a wide variety of nuclear medicine imaging studies.
- Ultrasound: Virtua provides high-tech ultrasound imaging.
- X-ray: Plain film x-ray is also available through our digital radiography system for faster scan times and high image quality.
Pediatric Sedation for Diagnostic Imaging
Most imaging studies require that children stay still in a particular position anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. Sedation is sometimes used as a tool to aid children in meeting these requirements so that the images are the best quality possible.
Several factors are considered when determining if your child will need sedation: age, developmental level, the length of time required to complete the test, and the amount of discomfort expected during the test.
Virtua's Pediatric Imaging Center in partnership with CHOP is the only facility in southern New Jersey that offers pediatric sedated imaging that is supported by CHOP physicians.