Taking care of a baby is hard work and there may be times when new mothers feel sad, anxious or overwhelmed. In fact, about 80% of women have "baby blues" after childbirth and about 10 to 15% have postpartum depression.
Working together with obstetricians, Virtua is taking measures to help women who may be suffering with postpartum blues or depression. New moms can benefit from the free program, Talking, Listening, Caring (TLC) for Moms, where participants receive the following:
- Comfort, support and assistance from TLC nurses
- Information about emotional and physical changes experienced after giving birth
- Support and understanding from other new moms and healthcare professionals
- Assistance in appointment scheduling with mental health professionals, if necessary
- Additional support through follow-up telephone calls
- Education on treatment options for women who experience baby blues or postpartum depression
The TLC for Moms program provides resources and services to women in the Southern New Jersey and Philadelphia areas. For women outside of this area who have reached this site looking for information or resources related to postpartum depression, please go to Postpartum Support International for a list of national and international resources for postpartum depression.
If you are having any thoughts of harming yourself or your baby, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
For questions or information, call 1-888-VIRTUA-3 (1-888-847-8823).