Virtua Breast Reconstruction provides the highest level of surgical expertise to recreate a natural-looking breast following mastectomy. Our board certified surgeons from Philadelphia’s Fox Chase Cancer Center are nationally recognized for utilizing the most advanced surgical techniques available for excellent results.
Most women who have had a mastectomy are candidates for breast reconstruction. After consultation between patient, reconstructive surgeon and the breast cancer surgeon, the Virtua team will make a recommendation for the best possible outcome. The surgery may be done at the time of a mastectomy or delayed until a later date.
Breast reconstruction surgery
- Flap procedures using the patient’s own tissue to create a natural looking breast
- Saline and silicone gel implants performed in multiple stages beginning with the creation of a breast mound through either an implant or with the patient’s own tissue
Follow-up procedures (often done on an outpatient basis)
- Replacing expanders with permanent implants
- Reconstruction of the nipple and areola
- Reshaping the remaining breast for symmetry
- Implant replacement years later if required