Put out the fire of heartburn
You know that awful feeling -- like there is a small brush fire in your chest rising into your mouth. Heartburn is deeply unpleasant -- the burning sensation of acid from the stomach washing back up into the esophagus. It hurts bad tastes bad. This, of course, is different than other causes of heartburn: like when you arrive home after work and find your teenager’s homework undone and the breakfast dishes piled in the sink.
Follow these steps for relief:
- Stop eating at least two to three hours before hitting the hay.
- Lie on your left side. Because of your anatomy, acid from your esophagus takes longer to clear when lying on your right side.
- Elevate your entire upper body. Go to your local bed and bath store for a wedge-shaped pillow.
- Avoid alcohol. It increases the production of stomach acid.
- For that other heartburn: Confiscate all smart phones until all homework and chores are completed.
If at any time, you are not sure whether your symptoms are heart-burn related, call your physician immediately. Click here for a list of Virtua doctors.
Now, relax and sweet dreams.