What you eat between meals makes all the difference in how well you lose weight or can maintain it. Here’s how to snack and stay healthy.
Get poppin' with popcorn
It's a whole grain.
- Only 90 calories in 3 cups of aired-popped popcorn.
- It's inexpensive.
- It can be seasoned with chili powder, grated parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper or cinnamon to add flavor.
Go a little nut
- Nuts are a healthy fat that’s also filling.
- Shelling peanuts or pistachios forces you to do more work so you tend to eat less.
- Raw almonds or cashews are crunchy and satisfying.
- A palm-full, or 23 almonds (1 ounce), is only 160 calories.
Take a yogurt break
Try new foods like quinoa
- Greek-style yogurt is low-fat and has calcium.
- It has double the protein of regular yogurt.
- All that protein takes longer to digest and keeps you feeling full longer.
- It has 200 calories or less.
- It’s a delicious whole grain that can be a rice substitute.
- One cup has 8 grams of protein.
- It digests slowly so you feel fuller longer.
- It’s very satisfying when mixed with vegetables, chicken or nuts.
Gobble raw veggies
- Bell peppers, carrots and broccoli contain both water and fiber.
- They’re low in calories.
- Dipped in 3 tablespoons of hummus, they’re only 69 calories in a serving.