Alzheimer's disease is a progressive brain disorder that gradually destroys a person's memory and ability to:
- Make judgments
- Carry out daily activities
As many as 5.3 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease. It usually lasts 7 to 10 years from the time it is medically diagnosed. Some researchers believe the disease might actually progress over a 20-year period.
There is currently no cure for Alzheimer's disease. To help individuals cope with the disease easier, families of individuals with Alzheimer's disease can choose the following resources:
- Support groups
- Family education
- Long-term care facilities
Virtua provides patients with quality care through board-certified neurologists, state-of-the-art technology and innovative treatment. Virtua offers a range of services to diagnose and treat neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's disease in the south New Jersey area.
Virtua's neurologists use the following to diagnose patients:
- State-of-the-art diagnostic imaging capabilities including CT, CTA, MRI and SPECT
- Memory testing for loss attributed to Alzheimer's and related dementia
- Extensive cerebrovascular evaluation including carotid ultrasound, MRA, CTA and transcranial doppler
- Electroencephalography (EEG) to diagnose seizures, faints or blackouts and conditions like memory loss, mental decline and confusion
Getting the right kind of help early can enhance an Alzheimer’s disease patient's quality of life and help families and caregivers plan for the future.
Virtua Health and Rehabilitation Centers offer special supervision and care to patients who suffer from conditions, such as Alzheimer's disease, that impair decision-making abilities. Virtua Health and Rehabilitation Centers are located in Berlin and Mount Holly in southern New Jersey.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 1-888-VIRTUA-3 (1-888-847-8823).