The term cardiovascular refers to the heart (cardio) and the blood vessels (vascular). The cardiovascular system includes arteries, veins, arterioles, venules, and capillaries.
Cardiovascular disease or heart disease is any disorder that affects the heart's ability to function normally. It is the number one killer in the United States and is no longer considered a disease that affects just men.
More than 42 million women in the United States are living with at least one kind of heart disease. If left untreated, heart disease can cause permanent damage to the heart or death.
Types of Heart Disease:
- Coronary artery disease occurs when arteries narrow from plaque buildup and prevent the heart from getting enough blood and pumping properly
- Hypertension or high blood pressure is when blood pressure inside the heart is high, causing the heart to work harder than normal
- Abnormal heart valves refer to a valve that is either leaky or narrowed which, in turn, affects the flow of blood throughout the heart
- Cardiomyopathy is a condition that affects the heart muscle, which may leave the heart weak and unable to meet the demands of the body
Virtua's Cardiovascular Program
Virtua provides a wide range of care including cardiovascular prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation. The program is staffed by a team of more than 100 board-certified cardiologists, experienced nurses in cardiac care and registered cardiovascular technicians.
Virtua's chest pain protocols allow for rapid identification of the causes of chest pain and provide prompt, high-quality care to all patients. Virtua's cardiac catheterization labs provide full-service diagnostics cauterizations as well as angioplasty and stenting for myocardial infarction (MI) – a heart attack – and acute myocardial infarction (AMI).
State Of The Art Heart Treatment Technology
Virtua uses the latest technology and treatment in its spectrum of care including:
- All-digital, wireless cardiac monitoring system that enables physicians to continually monitor the heart, even if they are not in the room.
- All-digital cardiac catheterization and echocardiography laboratories.
- Medically based cardiac rehabilitation and support programs.
Virtua also helps to advance diagnosis before a patient arrives in the emergency department. Virtua paramedics in the Mobile Intensive Care Units are now able to diagnose heart attacks in route to the hospital. EKGs are conducted in the ambulance and the results can be transmitted directly to the physician at the hospital.