Anesthesia is the delivery of medicine to prevent pain during surgery and other medical or dental procedures. Depending on the procedure, children could receive one of the following types of anesthesia: local, regional and general.
- Local anesthesia numbs the part of the body being worked on. Typically, a needle is used to inject the medicine into the skin. The child remains awake during the procedure.
- Regional anesthesia numbs a larger part of the body like an arm or leg. An anesthesiologist injects the medicine into a group of nerves so that patients no longer feel pain. The child remains awake but may be given medication to make him/her sleepy and less anxious.
- General anesthesia temporarily puts children to sleep, so they don't feel pain during surgery. Medicine may be administered through a gas mask, breathing tube or vein.
Virtua provides anesthesiologists who are specially trained to care for children. A pediatric anesthesiologist is a physician who is specially trained to take care of children during surgery and other procedures requiring anesthesia. Pediatric anesthesiologists know how to examine and treat children in a way that makes them relaxed and cooperative. Virtua anesthesiologists understand the special needs of children of all ages, and are experts in caring for children and their families.
Your Child is in Good Hands
The goal of a pediatric anesthesiologist is to keep your child as comfortable as possible before, during, and after surgery. They also strive to lessen emotional and physical distress for the entire family.
Your child's anesthesiologist will already know a lot about your child from earlier doctor visits and medical records. After seeing your child and asking questions, the anesthesiologist will create a personalized anesthetic plan for your child. This will include items such as how your child will separate from you, who will care for him or her in the operating and recovery rooms, how pain will be treated, and how they wake up to familiar faces. We will explain the steps in the anesthesia process and answer questions to help reduce anxiety - for both you and your child.
At Virtua, pediatric anesthesiologists are an integral part of the pediatric surgical team. They are available around-the-clock, have specialized training in the care of children, and are board certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Virtua pediatric anesthesiologists are available for the care of your child in the operating room, endoscopy suite, and for radiologic testing. Our team will help your child relax and stay pain free during simple as well as complex medical procedures.
Pediatric anesthesiologists provide the following services:
- Pre-surgery medical evaluation
- Pain control before, during and after surgery through various methods
- Anesthesia or sedation for procedures such as MRIs or CT scans
Virtua Provides . . .
- Board-certified anesthesiologists
- Anesthesiologists specially trained to care for children
- Round-the-clock availability
- Variety of anesthesia based on children's needs