Geriatric medicine focuses on health, treatment and illness prevention for adults over the age of 65. Geriatricians are clinicians who specialize in caring for the specific needs of the older population.
With more than one million persons age 65 and older living in New Jersey, Virtua offers a full range of services to meet the needs of older adults and their caregivers.
Virtua has more than 600 specialists in cancer, cardiac care and orthopedics, and is affiliated with the renowned Fox Chase Cancer Center. Virtua offers state-of-the-art programs like the NIH-based Stroke Centers that follow stringent National Institutes of Health (NIH) guidelines. And, Virtua's Senior's Health and VIP programs, in addition to offering free health screenings and seminars, organize trips, bowling, bingo and other social events.
Additional services include:
- Falls and Balance Program (download brochure): Virtua Rehabilitation Services offers a Falls and Balance Program to evaluate and treat a person's risk for falls. Patients are given an individualized treatment plan by their physical therapist to strengthen their muscles, promote flexibility and improve their walking pattern and overall balance. The main goal of the program is to keep patients independent and safe in their own home.
- Virtua Joint Replacement Institute: Same-day quad-sparing total knee replacement surgery and minimally invasive hip replacement are available at The Virtua Joint Replacement Institute in South Jersey. Your rehab will start before you leave the hospital, and you’ll be able to go back to work within weeks.
- Lifeline: For more than 20 years, Lifeline has been giving older adults the confidence to live the way they want to live - without fear and without giving up independence. They are provided a Personal Help Button that is worn as a pendant or wristband. If help is needed, for any reason at all, they just press the Personal Health Button. A specially trained operator will answer within seconds and send help.
- ACE: The Acute Care for Elders (ACE) program uses a team approach to help patients age 65 and older maximize their independence during hospitalization for acute illnesses, such as pneumonia or heart failure. A multi-disciplinary team of health professionals carefully screens patients for common geriatric conditions, discusses potential problems and implements measures to prevent functional decline. The ACE multi-disciplinary teams provide everything needed to promote a quick recovery.
In addition to having physicians who are board-certified in geriatrics or others who provide specialty care to the elderly, there are many screening and diagnostic procedures Virtua provides for mature adults, including:
- Breast cancer screenings
- Cervical cancer screenings
- Prostate cancer screenings
- Colorectal cancer screenings
- Stroke risk assessments
- Cardiovascular tests
- Orthopedic tests
- Ear evaluations and follow-up services
- Eye care and ophthalmology services
- Memory testing