Joint replacement will alleviate pain and discomfort in the knees and hips by replacing the natural joint with an artificial device. The surgery is typically done to relieve arthritis pain and restore mobility.
These days, there is no “right” age to get a joint replacement. Many younger individuals now opt for joint replacement, since the latest generation of these technologically advanced implants can last for 25 to 30 years. Patients do not have to wait to get back to their active, pain-free lives.
To see if you may be a candidate for a joint replacement, take the joint replacement questionnaire.
Why Consider Joint Replacement?
Modern joint replacement uses minimally invasive techniques, which reduces recovery time and allows a patient to get back to normal faster than traditional surgery.
Over time, people tend to avoid normal daily activities because of joint pain. Increasing pain and/or decreased mobility are hallmark symptoms of people needing joint replacement. The simplest movements like climbing steps, taking an after dinner stroll or walking the golf course are a struggle. Even sleep is disrupted when a comfortable position can't be found.
Why Consider Virtua?
Virtua's Joint Replacement Institute offers a comprehensive continuum of state-of-the-art surgical, nursing and rehabilitative care that includes everything from a pre-surgery orientation class and preadmission testing, discharge planning and rehabilitation – then back to normal activities. And it's all right here in South Jersey, close to home, family and friends.
All Virtua joint replacement surgery is performed in ultramodern conditions. After surgery, all orthopedic patients stay on a designated unit, staffed with nurses experienced and specially educated in the care of joint replacement patients.
Today, most patients are discharged to the comfort of their own home. Patient outcomes are improved when patients are in surroundings that are familiar and supportive.
Home rehabilitation specialists come to the home to begin the post discharge rehabilitation process in the first week following surgery. Patients are then transitioned to an outpatient rehabilitation center for continued rehab back to normal activities.
Virtua’s Joint Replacement Institute helps patients restore the ability to move pain-free following joint replacement. The Institute offers a wide range of care — from prevention and fitness to surgery and comprehensive rehabilitation.
Virtua's Joint Replacement Institute consists of:
- An international teaching center for minimally invasive knee replacement
- Surgeons who perform thousands of total joint replacements each year, more than any healthcare system in South Jersey
- Truly personalized care delivery: The surgeon you choose is the surgeon who does the procedure, and the one who cares for you before, during and after surgery — making sure that you have a full recovery
The Institute provides:
- Traditional hip replacement, with a minimally invasive approach
- Anterior hip replacements
- Same-day knee replacement
- Knee replacements specially designed for women
- Partial knee replacements
- Traditional total knee replacements
- Dedicated orthopedic surgery teams and specialty units for patient care
Virtua's clinical team includes:
- Orthopedic surgeons
- Certified orthopedic registered nurses, specialists
- Family physicians and internists
- Rehabilitation physicians
- Social workers
- Case managers
- Occupational and physical therapists
Total Joint Pre-Surgical Classes
Joint Replacement Pre-Surgical classes are designed to provide you and your family with information and education regarding your upcoming Joint Replacement Surgery at either Virtua Voorhees Hospital or Virtua Marlton Hospital. The goal to get you ready for your surgery by answering your questions, preparing you for what to expect while in the hospital and to help you plan for your recovery.