Lymphomas are cancers that start in the lymphatic system, which is part of the immune system. The lymphatic system consists of a network of thin tubes that drain lymph fluid from tissues throughout the body to help fight disease and infection.
There are two main types of lymphomas:
- Hodgkin's lymphoma (also known as Hodgkin's disease) starts in the lymphatic tissue and is most common in adolescents and young adults. It is considered to be one of the most curable forms of cancer
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma occurs when cells in the lymphatic system become abnormal. It can start almost anywhere in the body and may occur in a single lymph node, a group of lymph nodes or in another organ. It can spread to almost any part of the body including the liver, bone marrow and spleen
More than 74,000 Americans are diagnosed each year with lymphoma.
Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program
The Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program provides specialty care – including advanced treatments and personalized support services – for people with suspected or diagnosed lymphomas.
Each patient receives an individualized treatment plan based on the type, stage, and grade of the lymphoma as well as their age, health and personal choices. Patients may obtain an outpatient second opinion with a Fox Chase Cancer Center oncologist who comes to Virtua to meet with the patient and family.
Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program’s interdisciplinary care teams are staffed by oncology experts including board-certified medical oncologists who have earned their fellowships at leading medical institutions such as the University of Chicago Hospitals, the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and Memorial Sloan-Kettering. In addition, teams of oncology certified and advanced practice nurses provide expert treatment, education, and support to patients and their families.
Interdisciplinary care teams may also include:
- Radiation oncologists
- Oncology social workers
- Dietitians and physical therapists
The Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program offers the following:
- Advanced radiation oncology treatment in a comfortable setting
- The latest in immunotherapy options – such as interferon and monoclonal antibodies – for highly targeted treatments that minimize damage to the body
- State-of-the-art chemotherapy medications and techniques available at outpatient chemotherapy and infusion centers
- The latest surgical options for Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
- A range of clinical trials through national and regional associations as well as those that originate at Fox Chase Cancer Center
The Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program also offers a range of supportive services to help patients control pain, manage symptoms, relieve any side effects of therapy and deal with the emotional aspects of cancer.