Urology is the surgical specialty that focuses on the urinary tract of men and women, and on the reproductive system of males. Urologists are specially trained medical professionals who diagnose, treat and manage patients with urological disorders.
Urologists treat disorders pertaining to the following organs:
- Urinnary bladder
- Male reproductive organs (testes, epididymis, vas deferens, seminal vesicles, prostate and penis)
- Adrenal glands
Working together these organs produce, transport, store, and excrete urine, which contains the waste products removed from the blood. And like other systems in the body, the entire urinary tract is subject to diseases and disorders.
Virtua urologists offer full-service urology care for all patients from pediatrics through adults. Services include the diagnosis, treatment and management of urinary and genital problems from urinary tract infections to cancer. They also provide access to education and support groups.
Virtua urologists diagnose and treat the following disorders:
- Urological cancers
- Erectile dysfunction
- Hydrocele – build up of fluid around the testicle
- Hypospadias – birth defect in males; abnormally placed urethra
- Patent urachus – bladder defect
- Testicular torsion – a twist in the cord that supplies blood to the testicle
- Urinary incontinence
- Enlarged prostate
- Prostate, bladder and testicular cancers
Virtua urologists diagnose and/or treat these disorders with the following procedures:
- Prostate biopsy (TRUS)
- Cancer surgery
- Cooled microwave technology
- GreenLight Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate
- Kidney surgery, including kidney removal
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Pelvic floor repair and reconstruction
- Brachytherapy – radiation therapy to pinpoint tumors
- Testicular surgery
- Tranurethral resection of the prostate (TURP)
- Urethral suspension
At Virtua, minimally invasive procedures take place in surgical suites equipped with voice-activated equipment, two-way video linkage and high-definition digital imaging. These suites enable surgeons and staff to operate with greater ease and precision.
Learn more about minimally invasive surgery through robotic-assisted surgery, which uses a state-of-the-art surgical system. The technology allows the doctor to perform complex procedures through just a few tiny openings. As a result, patients may be able to get back to life faster without the usual recovery following major surgery.
For children's urological disorders, Virtua provides pediatric urologists who diagnose and treat disorders including:
- Daytime incontinence
- Urinary tract infections/obstructions
- Undescended testes