The Virtua Cardiac Rehabilitation Centers are conveniently located in South Jersey. These cardiac rehabilitation facilities support patients with various stages of heart disease, promoting heart health through supervised exercise and education. Exercise programs utilize treadmills, bicycles and strength-building machines, and the multi-disciplinary approach to risk reduction includes counseling in nutrition and stress management.
Virtua's cardiac rehabilitation centers meet the strict national standards of the American Association for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACPR). Each location is led by a cardiologist medical director and is staffed by cardiac rehabilitation nurses, dietitians and exercise specialists.
Featured services and programs include:
- Customized exercise programs supervised by exercise specialists
- Customized nutritional programs created and supervised by dietitians
- Support groups for sharing emotional burden
- Preventive strategies
- Smoking cessation support
The benefits of cardiac rehabilitation include:
- Improved muscle strength, endurance and flexibility
- Lower blood pressure and heart rate
- Possible reduction in total cholesterol and increase in HDL "good" cholesterol
- Possible reduction in weight and body fat
- Independence and confidence through education and self-direction
Individual risk factors are addressed by multidisciplinary teams consisting of:
- On-site cardiologist
- Nurse educators
- Diabetic educators
- Exercise physiologist
- Support group
Generally, patients are eligible for cardiac rehabilitation if they have experienced the following:
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Coronary bypass surgery
- Angioplasty (balloon procedure)
- Stent implantation
- Stable angina
- Cardiac transplantation
- Valvular surgery
A doctor's prescription is required in advance. Insurance benefits will be verified by Virtua Cardiac Rehabilitation Centers.
To arrange an appointment or for more information, call 1-888-VIRTUA-3 (1-888-847-8823).