Individuals who receive a cancer diagnosis may feel as though their world has been turned upside down. The dedicated clinicians of the Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program fully understand the emotional and psychological effects of this news and, from the beginning, work to comfort patients and their families.
Virtua collaborates with Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia to provide preventative, diagnostic and treatment services. The Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program consists of an Oncology Panel of doctors that has been recognized by the Fox Chase Cancer Center and must meet Fox Chase's high standards. The Oncology Panel is board-certified, practice medicine in a prescribed way, participate in quality assurance audits and attend continuing education programs.
Providing the highest quality, most advanced clinical and surgical care is only part of what Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program offers. The program's compassionate approach to working with patients and families, and the team's accessibility every step along the way, makes it second to none compared to other programs.
The program, accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (COC), has received the COC American College of Surgeons “Outstanding Achievement Award” three consecutive times. The program features:
Expertise in medical, surgical and radiation oncology
- Advanced chemotherapy medications and techniques
- Oncology surgical expertise in colorectal, breast, urologic, gynecologic, otolaryngology, brain and spine
- Breast reconstruction surgery using flap procedures which use the patient’s own tissue, as well as both saline and silicone gel implants. The program also uses the latest techniques and devices which allow for faster expansion and stable implant coverage.
- Radiation therapy is offered at multiple sites, each offering a comfortable setting in a convenient location.
- External beam radiation therapy guided by advanced imaging capabilities:
- 3D conformal, intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT)
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Image guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Brachytherapy treatments utilizing internally placed radioactive seeds include:
- Prostate brachytherapy
- High dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy for breast and gynecologic oncology
- Calypso GPS for the Body® technology that tracks the tumor or targeted area, such as the prostate, keeping it in the path of radiation during treatment.
A program held in high esteem
Many of our oncology physicians have been selected as “Top Docs” in their fields of specialty, and presently many are appointed to the Virtua Fox Chase Adjunct Faculty Panel after meeting strict criteria established by Fox Chase Cancer Center. Several Fox Chase Cancer Center physicians are also members of Virtua’s staff and provide patient care at Virtua facilities.
Virtua has received many accolades for its cancer program and is one of the first Breast Care Centers in New Jersey to achieve accreditation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
A team approach
The Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program's highly integrated team of oncology specialists is dedicated to providing individualized, state-of-the-art treatment – and personalized supportive care – to patients with many types of cancer.
Each patient receives an individualized treatment plan, incorporating the most advanced diagnostic and treatment procedures, such as:
- Minimally invasive biopsies and surgical treatments
- Radiation therapy
- Digital mammography
- Medical oncology – including state-of-the-art chemotherapy agents and techniques
- Biologic therapy (immunotherapy) such as monoclonal antibodies, vaccines and gene therapy
- International, national and regional clinical trials for almost every type of cancer
The program delivers the following clinical services:
For more information about the Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program, call 1-888-VIRTUA-3.