Welcome to Virtua Memorial
For 130 years, families have entrusted their health to Virtua Memorial. Every day, the doctors and staff continue earning this trust by providing the advanced medical care and compassionate touch it takes to heal patients from the inside out.
Take a Virtual Tour
Virtua Memorial is a 383-bed, full-service regional medical center in Mount Holly, NJ. Renowned for its expertise in advanced surgical and medical care, Virtua Memorial brings world-class care to patients across the region. During an emergency, Virtua Memorial is the only full-service hospital — with maternity care — in Burlington County that offers a full spectrum of medical options.
Specialty programs include stroke care, maternal/child health services, orthopedics, spine, cardiology and more.
Virtua Memorial has also been recognized by Medicare as a National Best Practice Hospital for the treatment of pneumonia patients and for excellence in the prevention of surgical infections.
Virtua Memorial Provides...
- Family centered labor, delivery and postpartum care
- Comprehensive cancer services through Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program
- First hospital-based heartburn center in New Jersey that provides the most advanced technology available for diagnosing and treating GERD
- Designated Primary Stroke Center that meets the acute and longer-term needs of stroke patients
- Children and Adolescent Rapid Evaluation Service (CARES) unit, which treats children for emergencies
- Comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical options, including minimally invasive surgeries
- Robotic-assisted surgery for gynecologic and gynecologic cancer
Prominent Stroke Care
Virtua Memorial is recognized regionally and nationally for its excellent care of stroke patients and adherence to stringent national guidelines. It has developed a comprehensive system for rapid diagnosis and treatment of stroke patients. The hospital was the first in New Jersey to implement teleneurology technology, which enables emergency room physicians to have round-the-clock access to neurologists via real-time, two-way audio and video communication.
Virtua Memorial has received the following awards and recognitions for its excellent stroke care:
- Designated a Primary Stroke Center by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. Virtua Memorial has demonstrated successful evaluation, stabilization and emergency care to patients with acute stroke, which occurs when blood flow to the brain is interrupted.
- Accreditation by the Joint Commission for its stroke center, the first hospital in South Jersey to receive this prestigious honor.
- Gold Performance Achievement Award from the American Stroke Association. The award recognizes hospitals that have more than a dedicated stroke unit; they have also a comprehensive system for rapid diagnosis and treatment of stroke patients admitted through the emergency department and then to a dedicated stroke unit.
- Get With the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Award from the American Heart Association. The award recognizes Virtua Memorial Hospital’s commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care by ensuring that stroke patients receive treatment according to nationally accepted guidelines.
Strong Commitment to Moms and Babies
Virtua Memorial provides a maternal-fetal health program that features some of the most prominent neo-natal specialists in the field. Together with Virtua Voorhees, Virtua delivers more babies than any other healthcare organization in the region.
From pre-natal testing to childbirth classes, Virtua Memorial’s maternity staff and clinicians guide new moms every step to the delivery of their babies and beyond.
The maternity center at Virtua Memorial offers comprehensive and sophisticated care, from advanced antenatal testing and prenatal support through labor and delivery. The maternity center also provides:
- Family-centered labor, delivery and postpartum care
- Labor and delivery triage area where patients are evaluated to determine how close they are to delivering. Advanced fetal monitoring enables doctors to see babies’ heart rates at all times even remotely in their private offices
- Private birthing rooms with advanced technology and personal amenities, including computers, flat screen televisions, and comfortable seating areas
- 24/7 availability of anesthesiologists, obstetricians, pediatricians, neonatologists, maternal/newborn nurses, lactation experts and other special delivery team members
- One specially trained nurse assigned to care for all mother and baby needs
- Fully equipped surgical suites for cesarean births and more complicated deliveries
- Special Care Nursery (SCN) that provides the latest technology in ventilators, electronic monitoring and leading-edge medical therapies for babies
Innovative Pediatric Care
Virtua Memorial Hospital opened a new Pediatric Pavilion. The $9.5 million hospital expansion utilizes an innovative model of care that centralizes inpatient and outpatient emergency services in the same location for children under 18.
The Pediatric Pavilion includes:
- Eight emergency treatment beds
- Three minor injury chairs
- Five inpatient beds
- Ronald McDonald family space
- Playroom for children
- Respite area for patients and siblings
- Media center for patients and their families
A shared central nursing station ensures efficiency and immediacy of care. The Pavilion is staffed by The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia physicians and by pediatric nurses — care providers who understand the unique needs of children.
High-Quality Medical and Surgical Services
Virtua Memorial provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical options from minimally invasive surgeries and advanced procedures to specialized rehabilitation and recovery care. Virtua Memorial was the first in the northeastern United States to receive Joint Commission accreditation for joint replacement and the second in the nation to have been accredited for spine surgery. Virtua’s orthopedic surgeons perform more joint replacements than any other healthcare organization in South Jersey.
Virtua Memorial Hospital has been designated an Aetna Institute of Quality (IOQ) for its spine surgery program. Designated IOQ facilities demonstrate excellence in care, a commitment to continuous improvement and represent an exceptional value to its members.
Virtua Memorial offers:
- Joint Commission-accredited programs in joint replacement, stroke care and spine surgery
- State-of-the-art operating rooms that support sophisticated orthopedic and neurosurgery cases
- Radiology services supported by digital imaging information and storage systems that provide faster and more efficient access to radiology records
- Comprehensive cancer services through Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program
- First hospital-based heartburn center in New Jersey that provides the most advanced technology available for diagnosing and treating gastroesopheageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Hospital-based hospice unit to manage end-of-life medical and psycho-social issues
- State-of-the-art cardiac catheterization labs
- Virtua Rehabilitation Network, which offers a broad scope of services to adult and pediatric patients including physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and audiology
- Outpatient procedures performed at Memorial Ambulatory Surgery Center in Mount Holly
- Sleep Center that offers sleep studies and treatments
- Outpatient diabetes counseling recognized by the American Diabetes Association
Excellence in Cardiovascular Care
Virtua Memorial is recognized as a regional destination for cardiovascular services, delivering quality care through sophisticated technology, comprehensive programs and the area's top heart and vascular specialists. The hospital provides life-saving angioplasties to remove clogged arteries and restore blood flow for patients experiencing heart attacks.
Virtua Memorial recently became licensed by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services as a Primary PCI Center. With this designation, Virtua Memorial’s expert team of cardiologists, nurses and technicians perform emergent angioplasty on patients with acute ST segment elevation myocardial infarction (heart attack).
The hospital's cardiovascular program provides:
- Board-certified cardiologists, interventional cardiologists, vascular surgeons, specially trained nurses and registered cardiovascular technologists
- State-of-the-art catheterization labs that offer immediate life-saving capabilities and the ability to treat more cardiovascular conditions
Dedicated Emergency Care
Virtua Memorial provides compassionate care to thousands of patients who come through the emergency department. As the only emergency department in Burlington County that is supported by a full-service hospital with maternity care, Virtua Memorial offers patients a full spectrum of options during a medical emergency.
The emergency room has been expanded in recent years to help meet the needs of the growing Burlington County community. Virtua Memorial’s emergency department features:
- Digital technology that includes bedside registration and a patient tracking system, which allows staff to streamline care and enhance patient service
- Special unit to treat pediatric emergencies. The Pediatric Pavilion treats children for emergencies in a comforting, family-friendly environment with unrivalled expertise. The unit is staffed by Virtua pediatric nurses and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia pediatricians.
- A Minor Emergency Center (MEC), which treats patients who have a variety of conditions from sore throats and lacerations to those suffering from abdominal pain and vomiting