Join national cancer prevention study today
Virtua has partnered with the American Cancer Society to recruit individuals who are between the ages of 30 and 65 years old and have never been diagnosed with cancer for a landmark new research study called Cancer Prevention Study-3 (CPS-3).
CPS-3 is a grassroots effort across the country. It aims to better understand the lifestyle, behavioral, environmental and genetic factors that cause or prevent cancer and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a major health problem for this and future generations.
Participation is easy. Appointments will take place at Virtua Voorhees Hospital on Thursday, May 16, 10 am to 2 pm (You must register before May 16).
For more details about enrollment locations, dates and times and to schedule your appointment, visit www.cps3southjersey.org.
Once you schedule the time of your appointment, you will receive instructions on how to complete your first, most comprehensive survey online. This survey will take approximately 45-60 minutes to complete. Your onsite appointment will take approximately 20-30 minutes and will involve:
- Completing a short survey packet
- Signing a consent form
- Providing a waist circumference measurement
- Providing a small blood sample (similar to a doctor's visit)
If you are interested in enrolling, please follow these simple steps:
- Visit www.cps3southjersey.org to schedule your appointment.
- After scheduling your appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions to go online and complete the comprehensive survey which will ask for detailed information on lifestyle, behavioral, and other factors related to health.
- At your appointment, you will be asked to sign an informed consent form, complete a short survey, and provide a waist measure and a small blood sample (similar to a doctor's visit). The blood sample will be taken by a certified, trained phlebotomist.
- At home, you will be asked to complete mailed surveys every few years over the next 20 to 30 years to update lifestyle, medical and behavioral information.
All personal information and any individual results of blood analyses that may be performed will be kept strictly confidential by CPS-3 research staff. There will be no cost to you to participate.
For more information about CPS-3, please visit cancer.org/cps3, email email@example.com, or call toll-free 1-888-604-5888. Results from previous American Cancer Society long-term follow-up studies have demonstrated:
- The link between cigarette smoking and lung cancer
- The significant impact of being overweight or obese on risk of cancer occurrence and death
- The impact of hormones, physical activity, diet, various medications and vitamins, and various other factors in relation to cancer risk
- The impact of air pollution on cardiopulmonary conditions motivating the Environmental Protection Agency to propose more stringent limits on particulate air pollution
- The link between aspirin use and reduced risk of colon cancer
- The link between postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy and various gynecologic cancers (such as breast and ovarian cancer)
- The link between diabetes and cancers of the pancreas and colon
- The link between physical activity and lower risk of various cancers (including breast, colon, and aggressive prostate cancer)
As one of New Jersey’s largest health systems, Virtua helps people be well, get well and stay well through a comprehensive range of health care services. Services are delivered through three health and wellness centers, three fitness centers, four acute care hospitals, primary and specialty physician practices with more than 240 physicians, urgent care centers, seven ambulatory surgery centers, home health services, two long-term care and rehabilitation centers, 12 paramedic units and a wide range of outpatient services. A leader in maternal and child health services, Virtua delivers more than 8,000 babies a year. Virtua also provides employment and wellness services to 1,700 businesses and corporations. An innovator in clinical and information technology such as electronic medical records, Virtua is recognized for its ground-breaking partnerships with GE Healthcare
, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
and the Fox Chase Cancer Center
. It is the official orthopedic provider for the Philadelphia Flyers
. Virtua employs more than 8,400 people and has been honored as the #1 Best Place to Work in the Delaware Valley for seven consecutive years. It is the recipient of the Consumer Choice Award from the National Research Corporation. For more information, visit www.virtua.org