What do Supermoms eat to keep energy levels up all day?
New mom and Virtua registered dietitian Jessica Moore says moms today need more than super organizational skills, they need super foods to keep them full of energy all day long.
"Moms need to keep up with their kids' hectic schedules. But that often means eating on the run, which leads to widening waistlines," says Moore. "But eating on-the-go doesn't mean you have to sacrifice healthy food choices. Today, there are lots of healthy options."
Check out Moore's suggestions for foods-on-the-go below.
- Fruit is the perfect low calorie, high fiber on-the-go snack for moms who need fast, easy energy. Moore suggests bananas, apples, pears and grapes paired with a low fat string cheese. "Adding some protein to your snack keeps you fuller longer," she says. "String cheese is a great source of low-fat protein."
- Who doesn't love peanut butter and jelly? Stick with the whole grain breads when preparing, and you've got a protein-packed punch of energy.
- Savor the sweet with the salty with a home-prepared snack mix of bite sized pretzels, dried fruit and nuts. "A handful is a portion perfect for satisfying that sweet/salty craving," says Moore.
- Yogurt can be a crunchy alternative to a bowl of cereal, and you can take it with you in a pinch. Add granola to your cup for some crunch.
- Pre-packaged bars can be a good snack, but reading labels is the key. "Fiber One bars, or Kashi bars not only taste great, but are a quick, low fat source of protein and fiber," suggests Moore.
Still not sure you're getting what you need to keep pounds at bay and energy up all day? Schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian at Virtua to help you build a nutrition plan that caters to your needs. Registered dietitians also provide pediatric nutrition counseling for patients and families with medical diagnoses such as food allergies, celiac disease and diabetes. For an appointment, call 1-888-Virtua-3.
As one of New Jersey’s largest health systems, Virtua helps people be well, get well and stay well through a comprehensive range of health care services. Services are delivered through three health and wellness centers, three fitness centers, three acute care hospitals, primary and specialty physician practices with more than 240 physicians, urgent care centers, nine ambulatory surgery centers, home health services, two long-term care and rehabilitation centers, 12 paramedic units and a wide range of outpatient services. A leader in maternal and child health services, Virtua delivers more than 8,000 babies a year. Virtua also provides employment and wellness services to 1,700 businesses and corporations. An innovator in clinical and information technology such as electronic medical records, Virtua is recognized for its ground-breaking partnerships with GE Healthcare
, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
and the Fox Chase Cancer Center
. Virtua employs more than 8,700 people and has been honored as the #1 Best Place to Work in the Delaware Valley every year since 2007. It is the recipient of the Consumer Choice Award from the National Research Corporation. For more information, visit www.virtua.org