Hospice care focuses on relieving pain and enhancing quality of life for patients who are nearing the end of life. Hospice care treats symptoms (pain, nausea, breathlessness) rather than illnesses (cancer, dementia, heart disease). This holistic approach provides emotional and spiritual support for patients and their caregivers, throughout the end of life process. It is generally recommended for people who cannot benefit from curative medical interventions and who have less than six months to live.
Hospice services can be provided at home or in hospice facilities, hospitals and nursing homes. Virtua physicians work with hospice providers throughout the service area.
Virtua partners with Samaritan Healthcare & Hospice to provide an inpatient hospice center at Virtua Memorial. The Samaritan Inpatient Hospice Center at Virtua Memorial provides:
- 12 patient beds in 10 bedrooms.
- Patient care services by Samaritan staff members and volunteers.
- Home-like decor including wall hangings donated by area quilters.
- Accommodations for open visitation, and pet visits by appointment.
- Sleeper recliners in each bedroom for overnight family visits.
- A living room, country kitchen, patient spa/bath, children's play area and family quiet room.
Referrals to hospice care for at-home services may come from patients, caregivers and health professionals. At-home hospice care is provided by Samaritan Healthcare & Hospice and various other hospice providers throughout the county.