Virtua is committed to supporting students in the advancement of their education by providing meaningful clinical experiences. The clinical coursework experience is intended to assist your transition from the role of student to that of practitioner.
In order to obtain a student affiliation experience at Virtua, the experience must fulfill the course requirement for practicum hours, achieve the objectives of the course and your personal objectives.
View information for:
Requesting access to Virtua facilities and systems
- Academic Affiliates (or authorized designees) are required to submit student information to Virtua’s Student Affiliate Coordinator and the IS Security Administration no less than (4) weeks before arriving at Virtua.
- Students and Instructors requiring system access will receive an email from the IS Security Administrator requesting the completion of the electronic confidential form. Access will not be granted until the form is completed and returned to the Security Administrator via email.
- Any student or instructor assigned a clinical rotation in the high risk areas (Voorhees Mother-Baby Unit or Memorial Maternal Child Health), must go to Security at their assigned division to have a Virtua ID badge made.
- Students assigned to all other areas must wear their school photo ID badge as per Virtua policy. All badges must be clipped to upper chest and clearly visible. Lost badges must be immediately reported to Security.
- The Maternal Child Health instructors will send the names of all students in their group to Marc Sano at Voorhees MSano@virtua.org or to William Kovar at Memorial WKovar@virtua.org
- Instructors and students can come in to have their picture taken Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 7 to 9 am and from 3 to 5 pm.
- Student Affiliates are required to present documentation of flu vaccine or a declination statement for students prior to arriving at Virtua and for students completing clinical rotations between Sept. 15 - Dec. 31. For more information, contact StudentAffiliateCoordinator@virtua.org indicating the purpose for your email in the subject line.
Submitting Placement Requests (dates/deadlines)
- Requests for group placements are accepted according to scheduled dates. Requests submitted after a deadline must be pre-approved.
- Individual student requests for placement in clinical support areas are submitted according to the semester calendars.
- Review the guidelines and schedule to submit group requests.
- Academic affiliates are required to complete Safety Training online before arriving at Virtua each year. We recommend students complete the training only after being notified by the instructor or authorized designee from the school/university. For information on how to access Virtua’s Safety Training online contact: SAC@virtua.org indicating the purpose for your inquiry in the subject line.
Student Eligibility (Undergraduates)
- You must be a high school graduate 18 years or older and enrolled in an academic program
- The attending school/university must be a Virtua Affiliate
- The purpose for the internship must be relevant to the course of study
- You must be able to provide the name and contact information of a school coordinator responsible for student placements.
- Note: At the present time, Virtua offers an observership to individuals interested in pursuing a career as a MD or DO. All applicants must make arrangements with a physician prior to completing the application. Please go to the Graduate Medical Education page by clicking here for further information.
Parking for Students
- Parking at a Virtua site may be limited depending on the assigned location. Anyone parking in patient, visitor or otherwise reserved parking areas may be subject to fines. Click here to review parking instructions.
Student Affiliate Internships and Shadowing FAQs
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN INTERNSHIP AND SHADOWING?
- An internship is relevant experience given to an eligible individual seeking to complete the requirements of an educational program who desires a limited hands-on experience for a period of more than 25 hours. Only students fulfilling educational program requirements will be considered for student affiliate internships.
- Shadowing is observation only. At the present time Virtua does not offer shadowing opportunities of any kind. Students related to Virtua employees included until further notice.
CAN I CONTACT THE STUDENT AFFILIATE COORDINATOR DIRECTLY?
- We do not recommend students attempting to coordinate placement on their own. The student affiliate coordinator requires information that can only be provided by an authorized representative of the academic institution. Students seeking general information are welcomed to send inquires to SAC@virtua.org indicating the purpose for the email in the subject line.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PROCESS MY INDIVIDUAL PLACEMENT REQUEST?
- The length of time can vary depending on the number of pending requests, department/resource availability, and current status of the affiliate agreement between the academic institution and Virtua. We will try to process as many requests as possible while maintaining patient care as our first priority.
WHERE DO I FIND THE INFORMATION FOR THE REQUIRED HEALTH SCREENINGS?
- Many of the questions relate to your childhood vaccinations, Annual PPD (with negative results), and Drug screening (with negative results) and must be kept up to date. A copy of these records must be provided for consideration of placement. You may obtain these records from your family physician or the academic institutions health center.
HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED IF ACCEPTED?
- Students will receive notification of acceptance from an authorized designee from the academic institution or via email from Virtua’s Student Affiliate Coordinator with instructions on next steps.