Welcome to Virtua Berlin
Known in the community for delivering high-quality personalized care that's recognized for excellence on a state and national level. With caring experts and advanced technology, our goal is to provide patients and families with an outstanding experience.
Take a Virtual Tour
Virtua Berlin is a 95-bed, medical-surgical hospital serving a broad four-county region of southern New Jersey.
Specializing in the unique needs of active adults and those in advanced years, Virtua Berlin is also widely recognized for its strong commitment to personalized medical care for all patients.
The hospital’s modern technology, customized services and programs and dedicated staff ensure outstanding experiences for patients and families.
Virtua Berlin Provides...
- ACE unit that helps patients age 65 and older to maintain mental and physical abilities during hospitalization
- Designated Primary Stroke Center that meets the acute and longer-term needs of stroke patients
- Wound Healing Center offering the latest services in wound care and prevention
- MRI/CT suite equipped with the latest imaging technology
- Comprehensive emergency services for children and adults
- Digital image management system that uploads radiology reports, studies and results, both past and current, to physicians within the system and off campus
- Digital video swallowing imaging service that evaluates patients who experience frequent problems with choking, coughing or swallowing
- Comprehensive laboratory services
- Palliative care with individualized treatment options, designed to increase patient comfort and support the healing process. Unlike hospice care, patients may undergo aggressive curative treatment while under the care of the palliative care team
Innovative Care for Older Patients
Meeting the medical requirements of older adults is a mission of Virtua Berlin. It is home to the first Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE) unit in southern New Jersey. The ACE Unit is a specially adapted medical unit where patients age 65 and older are treated using an innovative team approach to inpatient care. This approach helps older adults maintain mental and physical abilities during hospitalization and lessens the chance for readmission.
The ACE team is comprised of geriatric-trained health professions, including:
- Nurse practitioners
- Registered nurses
- Social workers
- Registered dietitians
- Physical therapists
Convenient Sub-Acute Care and Rehabilitation
Connected to hospital, the Virtua Health and Rehabilitation Center at Berlin makes access to emergency and routine medical care fast and convenient for those who need sub-acute care or rehabilitation.
The goal is to help patients become as active and independent as possible, and to help them achieve a rich and meaningful quality of life. Board-certified physicians and a skilled team of professionals, including physical, occupational, audiology and speech therapists, work together to offer individualized care. The Virtua Health and Rehabilitation Center has 120 beds and offers the following services:
- Nursing home care
- Long-term care
- Subacute care/Rehabilitation programs
- Respite care
- Palliative care
Commitment to Advanced Stroke Care
Virtua Berlin provides stroke patients with advanced care though its NJ Department of Health designated Primary Stroke Center. From diagnosis and emergency treatment to rehabilitation, the Primary Stroke Center meets the acute and longer-term needs of stroke patients. By utilizing the best technology, including teleneurology, and adhering to specific stroke-care protocols, the Primary Stroke Center’s multidisciplinary team treats strokes quickly and effectively.
The program has been designed to provide patients with the highest level of care based on recommendations set forth by the American Stroke Association.
Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the Berlin stroke team includes:
- Emergency room physicians
- Specially trained nurses
Comprehensive Wound Care and Prevention Services
The Wound Healing Center at Virtua Berlin offers the latest comprehensive services in wound care. The center provides treatment for those suffering from chronic wounds caused by diabetes, poor circulation and other conditions.
The center offers preventative services as well as advanced wound care, including systemic hyperbaric oxygen therapy for patients suffering from chronic, non-healing wounds. This program provides optimal wound healing with highly concentrated oxygen, which is unavailable at most other wound care centers in the area.