10 Questions to Ask After a Heart Disease Diagnosis
Hearing that you have heart disease can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of information to digest, and it’s understandable to feel confused, anxious, and uncertain.
It’s important that you get the facts so you can take control of your condition and make the healthiest choices. The best place to start is your doctor’s office.
Below are some questions you may want to ask:
- What type of heart condition do I have? Find out what your condition involves and how severe it is.
- How will my condition affect my daily life? Ask about any concerns you have, from work to sexual activity.
- Do I need to take medication? If so, know when and how to take your medicine. Ask about possible side effects.
- Do I need to change what I eat? Learn which foods to emphasize in a heart-healthy diet, and which ones to limit.
- How physically active should I be? Discuss the type, amount, and intensity of physical activity that’s best for you.
- How will following my treatment plan help me? Possible treatment benefits include relieving symptoms, increasing your energy and strength, and reducing the risk of having a future cardiac event.
- Do I need to have any additional tests or procedures? If so, know what’s involved, why it’s needed, and whether there are any risks.
- Would I benefit from cardiopulmonary rehabilitation? If you’ve had a heart attack, certain cardiac procedures, heart failure, or stable angina, your healthcare provider may suggest cardiopulmonary rehab. This medically supervised program is designed to help improve your well-being, change lifestyle habits, and prevent future heart problems.
- Where can I find emotional support? Support groups specifically for heart patients give you a chance to connect with others and share coping strategies. Counseling may help if you’re struggling with anxiety or depression.
- When should I schedule my next doctor’s appointment? Working closely with your healthcare provider is crucial for living well with heart disease.
Managing heart disease is a team effort. Together, we can improve your symptoms and your quality of life.
With a team of more than 100 cardiac experts, Virtua provides comprehensive cardiac care, from medical cardiology to interventional procedures to advanced cardiac surgery. Get an appointment within 48 hours by calling 888-847-8823.
Updated November 12, 2020