Healthy St. Patrick's Day Recipes: Corned Beef and Cabbage
This holiday staple (while undeniably delicious) has a habit of devouring your daily calorie count. Here, we substitute the potatoes with starchy veggies like parsnips and carrots to create a wholesome yet uncompromisingly tasty dish.
- 2 pounds lean brisket
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into circles
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small head of cabbage, cut into wedges
- 6 ounces of vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp whole peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large crockpot, add brisket, onion, carrots, parsnips, parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic and vegetable broth. Cook on high for four hours.
- Next, add cabbage and cook for an additional 1.5 hours.
- Remove and slice meat, serve over cooked veggies.
Updated February 27, 2023