Chickpea Sunflower Sandwich
Full disclosure: you will be shocked by how much this sandwich tastes like traditional tuna. Plus, the chickpeas and red onion are a fine source of prebiotics in this healthy sandwich that's perfect for lunch, dinner, or whenever the mood strikes.
- 15 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced avocado, onion, tomato, or lettuce for garnish
- Whole grain bread
- Add chickpeas to a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork for texture.
- To your bowl, mix sunflower seeds, mayo, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, and dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast your bread and build your sandwich with your chickpea filling and desired garnishes.
- For fewer carbs, consider making your sandwich open-faced!
If you’re struggling with digestive distress, Virtua’s board-certified gastroenterologists can help with the most advanced treatment options. Find a Virtua GI near you and schedule an appointment today.
Updated September 21, 2021