We know... you saw this recipe and immediately thought of the animated film. It's ok – that movie was delightful. But equally delightful is the actual food it was based on – a delicious, colorful vegetable dish that perfectly pairs with rice or pasta.
So in the words of Remy, "If you are what you eat, then I only want to eat the good stuff."
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, cut in squares
- 1 small green pepper, cut in squares
- 1 small yellow pepper, cut in squares
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in chunks
- 14 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large frying pan, heat your oil over medium heat. Add your onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the zucchinis, peppers, and garlic, cook and stir for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add your eggplant to the pan with the tomatoes and spices and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Enjoy as a side or serve over pasta or brown rice.
If you’re struggling with digestive distress, Virtua’s board-certified gastroenterologists can help with the most advanced treatment options. Find a Virtua GI near you and schedule an appointment today.
Updated September 21, 2021