Recipe - Savory Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes often get a bad rap for being high in calories, sodium, and fat. But, they don’t have to be.
Swap the cream and salt for other flavorful ingredients for a tasty and healthy version.
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: Approximately 45 minutes
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- 2 cups shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Heat oil over low-medium heat in a nonstick saucepan and add sliced shallots.
- Stir shallots frequently for about twenty minutes until tender and brown. Transfer shallots to a small bowl.
- In a large saucepan, add water and quartered potatoes. Bring water to boil and reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered for about fifteen minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pot. Add milk. Stir and mash until potatoes reach desired consistency. Add cheese and stir for a few more minutes until cheese is melted.
- Tranfer mashed potatoes to a serving dish, top with crispy shallots and serve.
Nutrition facts (1 cup serving):
- 291 Calories
- 8.7 grams Fat (4.0 gram Saturated Fat)
- 21 mg Cholesterol
- 1172 mg Potassium
- 95 mg Sodium
- 45 grams Carbohydrate
- 4 grams Fiber
- 2.5 grams Sugar
- 10.4 grams Protein
Updated October 19, 2021