Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
This light vegetarian, gluten-free dish can be served with steamed veggies, a salad, or baked potato.
Prep time: 40 minutes
- 3 bell peppers
- 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c. corn
- 1 c. cooked rice
- ½ c. onions, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp. cumin
- 1 oz. light cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 oz. jalapeño Jack cheese, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cilantro
- ¼ c. water
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Spray 9" x 13" pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Fill each pepper half with bean mixture and place in pan.
- Pour ¼ cup water into the pan around the peppers.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle each half with cheese. Bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serving size: ½ pepper
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 195 calories
- 10 g protein
- 4 g fat
- 2 g sat. fat
- 32 g carbohydrate
- 7 g fiber
- 9 mg cholesterol
- 254 mg sodium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Any color of peppers will work well in this recipe. If you would like to add meat, consider adding ½ c. ground beef or turkey to the bean mixture.
Updated December 29, 2017