Enhancing Kidney Health and Improving Quality of Life
Your kidneys remove waste from your bloodstream and regulate your blood pressure. When problems keep your kidneys from working like they should, Virtua nephrologists (kidney specialists) provide the diagnosis and treatment you need.
Our board-certified nephrologists provide comprehensive care for all stages of kidney disease, including transplant. Through our partnership with Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, we also handle the special needs of children and adolescents with kidney disorders.
Kidney disorders treated include:
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Kidney failure (also called end-stage renal disease)
- Kidney cancer
- Kidney injury
- Pregnancy-related kidney problems
- Kidney stones
- High blood pressure
- Congenital kidney abnormalities (kidney problems that occur at birth)
Services provided to diagnose and treat your kidney condition include:
- Renal ultrasound
- Computerized tomography (CT) to provide detailed images of the inner structures of your kidneys
- Blood and urine tests
- Kidney function monitoring
- Medication to lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Medication to relieve swelling
- Diet modification
- Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis to filter waste from your blood
- Kidney transplant
Early recognition and intervention are essential to slowing the progress of kidney disease, maintaining quality of life, and improving long-term prognosis.