Comprehensive Treatment for All Types of Liver Disease
The liver is your body’s MVP, performing 500 jobs to keep you going strong—everything from filtering 30 gallons of blood an hour to storing blood sugar for when you need an extra shot of energy to ridding the body of toxins. So when this football-size organ doesn’t work well, your entire health can be affected.
Virtua Centers for Liver Disease provide comprehensive care for all types of liver disease, including hepatitis B and C, fatty liver disease, liver cancer, cirrhosis (scarring) and liver failure.
Patients also may be evaluated for a liver transplant at the Virtua Center for Organ Transplantation.
Our team of hepatologists (doctors who specialize in liver disease), surgeons, interventional radiologists, pharmacists and nursing professionals utilize the newest medications and noninvasive approaches in providing:
- Hepatitis B and C diagnosis and treatment
- Liver transplant evaluation
- Treatment of fatty liver disease, including nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Evaluation of acute, fulminant and subfulminant liver failure
- Management of refractory ascites
- Treatment of autoimmune and cholestatic chronic liver disease
- Management of portal hypertension
- Treatment of liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma) and bile duct cancer, including Y-90 radioembolization, tumor ablation and resection
- Treatment of advanced-stage hepatic encephalopathy
- Management of acute and acute-on-chronic liver failure
Hepatitis C Center
Our facility at Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital specializes in the treatment of hepatitis C. During each visit, patients receive lab testing on site (depending on insurance) and screening to determine the stage of your disease. This noninvasive test, called transient elastography (FibroScan) uses ultrasound to reveal the level of scarring within the liver.
Patients consult with a specialty pharmacist, who will answer any questions or concerns you may have about your prescribed medication. Center pharmacists educate and support patients, and help identify resources to pay for the drugs.
Coordinated Liver Care by Virtua Advanced Transplant & Organ Health
Our goal is to provide complete and comprehensive liver care at any stage of liver disease, right here in South Jersey. As part of Virtua Advanced Transplant & Organ Health, our team of liver specialists and surgeons are built to do just that.
It starts by taking a patient-centric approach, aligning our services and specialties around your unique needs. With this expert coordination of care, we’re better equipped than ever to evaluate, diagnose, and successfully treat these serious liver conditions.
That means effective treatment plans to manage symptoms and slow progression, and provide more advanced care like transplant if necessary – all to best improve your quality of life.