Kidney and Pancreas Transplant at Virtua Health
Kidney transplantation is a lifesaving procedure for people with end-stage kidney disease.
The Virtua Center for Organ Transplantation is the only provider of kidney transplants in South Jersey. Our compassionate, experienced staff provide personalized care throughout your kidney transplant journey, which includes:
- Listing and waiting for a kidney transplant
- Preparing for kidney transplant surgery
- Care after kidney transplant surgery
- Living kidney donor organ transplantation
At Virtua, patients can receive a kidney transplant from two types of donors:
- Deceased donors, individuals who have designated themselves as organ donors (or their family has consented to donate the person’s organs) and have passed away from natural or accidental causes.
- Living donors, who are willing to donate a kidney as a gesture of love or altruism. Living donation greatly reduces your time spent on the transplant waiting list and improves your long-term survival.
Thanks to new advances in anti-viral and immunosuppression drugs, hepatitis C-negative recipients can receive a kidney from a hepatitis C-positive donor.
Our team also is experienced in performing simultaneous liver-kidney transplants.
Pancreas Transplantation at Virtua
Sometimes, a person who has diabetes and end-stage renal disease also needs a pancreas transplant. We are skilled in performing all three types of pancreas transplants: simultaneous pancreas kidney, pancreas after kidney, and pancreas alone.