After Liver Transplant, You Become a Member of the Virtua Family
Your care at Virtua Health doesn't end once you've received a liver transplant. You're a member of the Virtua family for life.
Your personal care team will change slightly to include post-transplant nurse coordinators. The post-transplant team will meet with you in the hospital to talk about:
- Taking your daily organ anti-rejection medication, as well as any other prescribed medicines.
- Managing pain and fatigue.
- The importance of staying hydrated and following activity restrictions. Generally, you can resume activities within six to 12 weeks after surgery, but may need longer before returning to work and other normal activities.
- Continuing care with your primary care physician and other specialists.
Below is the schedule for follow-up appointments with the Virtua liver transplant team:
- At least weekly in the first month
- Every two weeks in the second month
- Monthly for the remainder of the first year
- Every other month in the second year
- Every three months in the third year
- Every six months after the third year
Depending on your health, you may need more frequent checkups. In addition, you'll undergo blood tests and review your medications at each visit.
Your nurse coordinator will outline your treatment plan.