Compassionate Care and Support Through Pregnancy Loss
Pregnancy is typically a time of joy and excitement. But when the elation of expecting a child turns to the unimaginable experience of miscarriage or infant loss, couples often don’t know where to turn.
Virtua’s Perinatal Bereavement and Palliative Care program supports families through pregnancy loss or an unexpected fetal diagnosis, and helps provide care for the difficult journey that follows. We help parents understand the medical perspective of “Why did this happen?”
We hold parents up when emotions pull them down. And, we provide ways they can honor their child’s meaningful life with dignity and grace.
Infant Loss Support
Virtua’s Infant Loss Support program is one of the only perinatal grief support groups active in Southern New Jersey, offered to patients within Virtua and beyond.
Virtua doctors, nurses and staff provide personalized bedside support to help parents say hello and goodbye to their baby and offer ways they can remember them:
- Pictures, footprints, angel gowns, handmade blankets and hats.
- Memory box and HOPING Bear keepsakes
- HOPING/Unite Grief Support group (Helping Other Parents In Normal Grief)
- Angel Garden memorial
In addition, the program offers follow-up support with phone calls, mailings, assistance with specialized resources, and an annual memorial service.
LifeCare for Little Ones Support
Beyond the medical considerations of delivery, there are many ways to give a child’s life meaning while providing comfort to family members.
With LifeCare for Little Ones, Virtua’s palliative care team supports parents during pregnancy when they are given a ‘life-limiting’ diagnosis for their baby. Doctors, nurses, chaplains, social workers and staff help with the smaller details that can make a big difference.
- Provide a specialized care plan with parents’ wishes developed and shared with all staff involved
- Offer support during the pregnancy and delivery
- Enable parents to have ample time with their baby
- Provide medical interventions to keep the baby comfortable
- Assist with baptism, blessings or other spiritual ceremonies
- Help collect keepsakes such as a lock of your child’s hair or family photos
The Rainbow Baby Connection
Just as a beautiful rainbow follows a storm, a rainbow baby provides hope after a loss. For a mother carrying a rainbow baby, joy and excitement may be intertwined with a sense of guilt, loss, sorrow or unhealthy fear and anxiety. You're not alone.
In The Rainbow Baby Connection program, Virtua bereavement specialists support moms who are transitioning from mourning the loss of their previous baby to celebrating the new life growing inside of them.
- Peer-to-peer support
- Bi-monthly Rainbow Babies support group
- Education to help you take the steps you need to stay healthy
- Hospital program to acknowledge your loss and your new baby
Through the darkness of the storm and the joy of the new rainbow baby in your life, we are here to help.