COVID-19: Virtua Health continues to prioritize your safety. For information about services, testing, visiting, vaccines, and variants, click here.
People with lung, esophagus or chest disease who entrust their care to Virtua receive expert treatment from board-certified and fellowship-trained thoracic surgeons who specialize in minimally invasive procedures. Using smaller incisions helps patients recover more quickly and with less pain so they can get back to the essentials—living and breathing easier.
To consult with a Virtua thoracic surgeon, call 888-847-8823.
Virtua thoracic surgeons care for patients who have conditions that may require surgery or other interventions in the chest area. (“Thorax” refers to the chest.) These specialists emphasize approaches to procedures that are minimally invasive, and thus easier to undergo and recover from.
Meet our Thoracic Surgery Panel:
(Virtua cardiothoracic surgeons treat heart-related conditions of the chest, with an emphasis on minimally invasive, sternum-sparing techniques. Learn more here.)
A multi-disciplinary approach to lung cancer treatment
The diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer require a coordinated team of experts to collaborate on all aspects of patient care. Virtua’s thoracic surgeons lead a team that includes pulmonologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, chest radiologists, pathologists, interventional radiologists, anesthesiologists, physician assistants, and advanced practice nurses all specializing in thoracic patient care.
Virtua thoracic surgeons voluntarily submit quality data to the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) National Database, an initiative for quality improvement and patient satisfaction among cardiothoracic surgeons.
The expertise of Virtua thoracic specialists covers both benign (non-cancerous) and malignant (cancerous) chest conditions. Some of the areas where they provide diagnosis and care include:
• Airway Disorders: tumors, narrowing, or collapse of the airway
• Chest Wall Disorders: sunken chest syndrome (pectus excavatum, or PEX), tumors, or protruding breast bone
• Diaphragm Paralysis: poor breathing muscle function
• Esophageal Cancer: esophagus tumors
• Esophageal Disorders: swallowing difficulties, narrowing of the esophagus, heartburn
• Giant Bullous Disease: large air pockets in the surface of the lung
• Hyperhydrosis: excessive sweating
• Lung Cancer: lung tumors
• Mediastinal Diseases: thymic tumors, myasthenia gravis
• Mesothelioma: cancer within the lining around the lung related to asbestos exposure
• Pleural and Pericardial Effusions: fluid around the heart and lungs
• Spontaneous Pneumothorax: lung collapse
Virtua’s affiliation with Penn Medicine gives patients access to the latest advances in cancer care, treatment and research. Clinical trials are designed to evaluate new methods of cancer prevention and treatment that are approved by the National Cancer Institute.
See available clinical trials
Tiny valves implanted in Chester Pine Sr.’s lungs have greatly improved his breathing and quality of life. Learn about this new minimally invasive procedure available at Virtua.Read More