What is MyChart?
MyChart is an easy–to-use online tool that gives you control over your health information. MyChart provides you with access to portions of your medical record information in a secure and confidential way. MyChart improves your ability to communicate with your health care provider by offering online access to send secure messages and requests. MyChart helps you to become a more active and informed partner with your provider, enhancing your opportunities for better health.
With MyChart, you can do the following:
- Manage your appointments - Schedule appointments, view details from past and upcoming appointments.
- Complete routine paperwork 48 hours before your appointment – Save time by reviewing and updating your personal information, verifying your insurance, updating your medication list, and paying your visit co-pay.
- Keep up-to-date on vaccines and other routine health exams - Health reminders keep you informed of upcoming and overdue health maintenance items such as flu shots, mammograms, tetanus shots, and colonoscopies to name a few.
- Access your test results - No need to wait for your provider’s office to call or send a letter. View your test results within a few days.
- Communicate with your provider - Get questions answered without making a call or scheduling an appointment.
- Pay bills online - Access and pay your bills online or pay as guest. Pay as guest allows you to pay bills for children or other family members without a MyChart account.
- Request prescription refills - Send a request for a refill for any refillable medications.
MyChart allows you to do all the above, right from your smartphone or computer, saving you time, money, and unnecessary visits.
Is there a fee to use MyChart?
MyChart is a free service offered to our patients.
Who can sign up for MyChart?
If you are age 18 or older, you are eligible to create a MyChart account. If you are under the age of 18, or would like to obtain records for a patient under the age of 18, please contact the Virtua hospital’s Health Information Management (HIM) department of your last visit, or your Virtua Medical Group (VMG) provider office.
How do I sign up?
There are multiple options for how you can sign up for MyChart. (Hint: watch our quick tutorial video here to see how easy it is to sign up.) Here are the options:
- Sign up online using our third-part verification system through Experian.
- Obtain a MyChart activation code as part of your visit with a Virtua Medical (VMG) Physician office.
- You can obtain an activation code from the After Visit Summary provided as part of a patient visit at a Virtua facility.
- Request a code by completing the sign-up code request form that can be obtain from the Virtua.org website.
Once you have your activation code, you can complete the activation process to create your MyChart account.
What is an activation code?
Your activation code is the unique identifier you will use, along with other personal information, to log into MyChart for the first time. The first time you log in, you will click on the Sign Up Now link and follow the instructions to enter your activation code.
Is my activation code my username?
No, your activation code is not your MyChart username or password. You use the activation code only once to log into MyChart the first time. At that time, you will be asked to create your own unique MyChart username and password.
How do I choose my personal MyChart username and password?
The first time that you log in to MyChart, you will be prompted to create a login username and password. This is the username you will use every time you login into MyChart. Once selected, your MyChart username cannot be changed. Choose a username and password that is unique to you and easy for you to remember. Avoid using a username or password that is easy for others to guess such as your first or last name.
- Your username must be between six and 18 characters long. Only letters or numbers are allowed and it cannot contain any spaces.
- Your password must be a minimum of eight characters long and must include at least one number and one letter.
What if I need help with MyChart?
If you need assistance with MyChart, please call 888-Virtua-3 (888-847-8823) or complete the Request Help form in the Technical Assistance section at Virtua.org/MyChart. Please be prepared to offer a phone number or email address where support personnel can reach you. We can only answer technical support questions about MyChart. For specific questions about your health care, please contact your provider's office directly.
Your Medical Record
When can I see my test results in MyChart?
The results of most tests are viewable in your MyChart account within three business days after it is posted to your chart.
Can I email my provider through MyChart?
While MyChart is not an email system, you are able to send secure messages directly to your provider.
Can I contact my provider’s office using MyChart?
Yes, you can use the Ask a Question feature to ask a simple medical question that does not require an immediate response or to request a medication refill.
What if my message is of an urgent matter?
If your message is of an urgent matter, please call your provider’s office directly.
Can I schedule an appointment with my provider through MyChart?
Yes, simply click the Schedule an Appointment link, choose your reason for scheduling an appointment from the options listed, and then follow the prompts to schedule the appointment.
How long does it take if I request a prescription refill through MyChart?
Prescription refill requests can take up to 72 hours to be processed and any written prescriptions must be picked up at your provider’s office.
What if I need a refill today?
Please contact your provider’s office directly if you are in need of an immediate refill.
MyChart for My Family
Who else can see my account on MyChart?
No one else can see your MyChart account, unless you add someone as a proxy. A proxy is a spouse, partner, adult child, or other trusted person that you want to share your record with. Virtua does not utilize MyChart to release records to third parties.
How do I add a proxy?
To add a proxy to your account:
1. Go to the Health tab and select Grant Access to my Record from the drop down
2. Fill out the proxy request form with the proxy’s first name, last name, gender, date of birth, address, email address, and phone
3. Click Submit Request
Once you have completed the Grant Access to my Record form and the form has been processed, the MyChart activation code and sign-up instructions will be sent to the proxy. With certain restrictions, proxy access may be granted to the parents or legal guardians of patients under the age of 18 (minors).
Where do I find my child’s COVID-19 lab results?
- For adults and children (newborns up to and including age 11), results can be found in the parent/guardian’s Menu→MyRecord→Test Results→Lab
- For teens between age 12 and 17, results can be found under the adolescent’s name in the guardian’s Proxy Access tab at Menu→MyRecord→COVID-19.
How do I interpret my child’s COVID-19 lab result?
- If a child’s result is positive, meaning the child has COVID-19, the value field will say “Detected.”
- If a child’s result is negative, meaning the child does not have COVID-19, the value field will say “Not Detected.”
- The Standard Range (also called the “reference range”) field will always say “Not Detected.”
A proxy can see, download, and transmit medical information. A proxy can view and send messages, request appointments, or request medication refills. A proxy can see and edit certain profile information. A proxy cannot: add or delete another proxy, change a patient’s email account, username, or password.
Who have I added as a proxy?
To see who has access to your records, or to see the status of someone you have added as a proxy:
1. Go to the Profile tab and select Personalize from the drop down
2. The section titled Who Can View My Record will show the list of people you have added as a proxy
How do I remove a proxy?
To remove a proxy:
1. Go to the Profile tab and select Personalize from the drop down
2. Click the Revoke Access button next to the name of the person you want to remove from your proxy list
Can my spouse and I share one MyChart account?
No, due to the sensitive nature of medical information, each adult must establish their own MyChart account.
After I Have Enrolled
If some of my health information on MyChart is not correct, what should I do?
Your MyChart information comes directly from your electronic medical record at your provider's office. Ask your provider to correct any inaccurate information at your next visit. Your health information is reviewed and updated in your electronic medical record each visit.
How can I update my personal information in MyChart?
Go to the Profile tab and select Personal Information from the drop down. From there, you can change your demographic information by clicking on the Edit button within that section. When finished, click Save Changes.
How can I update my email address in MyChart?
Go to the Profile tab and select Personal Information form the drop down. Click on the Edit button in the Contact Information section and update your email address. When finished, click Save Changes.
Can I print from MyChart?
Yes, you can print from MyChart, but it is highly recommended that you do not print to a shared printer.
Is MyChart secure?
Yes. MyChart is a secure online tool that provides encrypted communication in full compliance with State and Federal requirements. Access to your health information in MyChart is secured by your personalized ID and password, known only to you. You should not share your username and password, but utilize the proxy features that MyChart offers. Unlike conventional email, MyChart messaging is done while you are securely logged in to our website.
Virtua Health’s Joint Notice of Privacy Practices can be found at:
My activation code doesn't work
If your activation code is not working, please contact 888-Virtua-3 or complete the Request Help form in the Technical Assistance section at Virtua.org/MyChart. We cannot provide a new sign-up code via email or phone. You will need to submit a request for sign-up code in order to have a new code mailed to you. Our goal is to protect your information as best as possible and we cannot validate your identity through email or over the phone. We understand this may be an inconvenience, but we hope you can appreciate our efforts to protect you and your health information.
The 15 digit activation code will expire after 30 days. If your activation code has expired, please request a new activation code by visiting Virtua.org/MyChart and downloading the PHR Sign-up Code Request Form.
What if I forget my password?
If you have forgotten your password, click on the Forgot Password link on the login page. Enter your MyChart username and required information and click "next". Select how you would like to receive your additional security verification code. If you select to receive your code by email, do not close the MyChart page. Once you receive your security verification code, enter the code and then you will be allowed to reset your password.
What if I forgot my MyChart username?
If you have forgotten your username, click on the Forgot Username link on the login page. Enter the required information to have your MyChart username sent to your email account.
Can I create my own password and change it when I want?
Yes, your password can be changed online at any time by going to the Profile tab and select Security Settings from the drop down. Please keep your password confidential and do not share it with anyone. If you believe that someone has found out your password, please change it.
How do I keep my password secure?
Some suggestions to keeping your password secure are: change your password regularly, don't write your password down or give it to anyone, don't use a solitary word in the dictionary, and don’t use your name.
I have found a third-party application that I would like to use to capture some of my health information and would also like to have this app connect with my MyChart account. Can I do this?
If you have found a third-party health care application (such as 1upHealth, MyFHR, MyLinks, etc) with which you would like to connect/link to your MyChart account so that you can capture or share some of your personal health information, you will need to sign-up for that app and then go through their process to connect your health data. Connecting to your health data typically involves searching for Virtua Health, then being redirected to the MyChart login-in screen for authentication. Once you have logged into your MyChart account through that application, you will need to allow it access to your health data in MyChart. If you have any issues with the connection setup, contact that vendor.
Virtua is not responsible for the information or materials contained on any third party website, or on websites that provide links to MyChart. Links from MyChart are provided for convenience only and are not intended as an endorsement by Virtua of the organization or individual operating the third party website or application, or a warranty of any type regarding either the third party website or application, or the information on the third party website or application. Virtua shall not be liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content, products or services available on or through such third party websites for applications. If you access a website or application, you will be subject to the Terms and Conditions and the Privacy Practices of the third party website or application.
Updated September 12, 2023