Mothers Benefit from BreastfeedingHere are five ways mothers can benefit from breastfeeding:
1. Breastfeeding can make your life easier.Breastfeeding may take a little more effort than formula feeding at first. But it can make life easier once you and your baby settle into a good routine. When you breastfeed, there are no bottles and nipples to sterilize. You do not have to buy, measure, and mix formula. And there are no bottles to warm in the middle of the night.
2. Breastfeeding can save money.Formula and feeding supplies can cost well over $2,000 each year depending on how much your baby eats. Breastfed babies are also sick less often, which can lower health care costs.
3. Breastfeeding can feel great.Physical contact is important to newborns. It can help them feel more secure, warm, and comforted. Mothers can benefit from this closeness as well. Breastfeeding requires you to take some quiet, relaxed time to bond. The skin-to-skin contact can boost your oxytocin levels. Oxytocin is a hormone that calms you down and helps your milk flow.
4. Breastfeeding can be good for your health.Breastfeeding is linked to a lower risk of health problems in women, including:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Breast cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Postpartum depression
5. Nursing mothers miss less work.Breastfeeding mothers miss fewer days from work because their infants are sick less often.
Updated July 27, 2021