Recipe - Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Turkey and pumpkin…This recipe brings them together for a hearty, seasonal one-pot meal. Besides adding a sweet nutty flavor to dishes, pumpkin is a ready source of vitamin A, which boosts the nutrition content of this offbeat chili. Garnish each portion with a dollop of sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and chopped cilantro or scallions.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground white or dark meat turkey
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained\
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeños and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add turkey and cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes, pumpkin, 1 cup water, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add beans.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes more.
- Ladle chili into bowls and serve.
(Amount Per Serving)
Fat: 13g (2.5g saturated fat)
Recipe provided by Whole Foods Market
Updated November 2, 2017