Bring the Beauty Back to Your Eyes
Are you thinking about enhancing the look of your eyes?
“Many women come in saying they want more room on their eyelids to apply make-up. Or, they may want ‘a little something’ to look younger so they’re not overlooked for advancement in their jobs,” says Virtua South chief of plastic surgery
Gary Brownstein, MD.
"The best thing to do when considering plastic surgery is to talk with your surgeon about the results you want to achieve. Then determine what procedure can help achieve the look you desire," he says. The area around the eyes is very critical to your appearance, so the surgeon needs to consider various approaches to achieve your desired outcome.
- A blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid lift surgery, repairs sagging upper eyelids.
- A brow lift surgery corrects sagging skin of the forehead, eyebrows and/or upper eyelids.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), you will achieve the best results from plastic surgery if you and your surgeon communicate openly and work together to achieve realistic goals. For instance, an eyelid lift can only be done once because you don’t regain the eyelid skin removed in the surgery. A brow lift, however, can be redone if necessary.
The ASPS recommends using the following questions to guide your conversation with your plastic surgeon:
- How many procedures of this type have you performed?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for each procedure and what results are reasonable for me?
- Where and how will you perform my procedure?
- How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
At the end of the day, it’s important to choose an accredited plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery whom you trust. Take the time to do your homework, research the doctor’s credentials and look carefully at the work that they have done.
This small investment can provide a big payoff each time you look at yourself in the mirror with confidence in the gorgeous eyes looking back at you.
Updated June 6, 2016