Recipe - Mediterranean Pita Sandwich
If you’re an adventurous eater, you’ll love this Mediterranean-inspired sandwich, which has lots of flavor, but half of the sodium and carbohydrates than a traditional gyro or falafel sandwich.
Makes: 4 Pita Sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1¼ pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 7 ounces plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4 small whole-wheat pita pockets
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup seedless cucumber, diced thin
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, create a tzatziki sauce by mixing Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon, dill, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. For best flavor, refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes before serving.
- Heat a small amount of cooking spray or oil in a large skillet. Sear chicken breasts for about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a baking dish and place in the oven. Continue to cook for 15 minutes per side or until chicken is completely cooked through. Set chicken breasts aside to cool.
- Stuff each pita pocket with sliced chicken, tzatziki and red cabbage and serve!
- 424 Calories
- 12.8 g Fat (3.1 g Saturated)
- 129 mg Cholesterol
- 407 mg Sodium
- 30 g Carbohydrate
- 10 g Fiber
- 53.6 g Protein
- 5 g Sugar
Updated July 12, 2016