Recipe - Pumpkin Soup
Try this savory, easy-to-make pumpkin soup recipe that is full of fall flavors, including sweet and warming spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander, and curry powder. This healthy version isn't heavy on the cream or the calories.
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (*or 4 cups pumpkin, peeled and diced)
- 2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk, fat free
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp fresh sage, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized stockpot or large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic, celery and onion. Sautee until onions soften.
- Stir in chicken stock, coconut milk, and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Add curry powder, chili powder and cinnamon and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. (*If using raw pumpkin, simmer until pumpkin softens. Use a blender to puree in small batches)
- Serve soup with roughly chopped leaves of sage.
(Amount per serving)
Calories: 250 Calories
Protein: 10 g
Fat: 15 g (Saturated: 5 g )
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Sodium: 180 mg
Protein: 10 g
(Substitute 1 cup fat-free half & half or 1½ cups low-fat soymilk for the evaporated milk to trim off some extra calories from fat. You may need to add sweetener to taste)
Updated September 19, 2019