Recipe - Pumpkin Muffins
These light, tasty muffins are perfect for the fall season, and best of all, they are low in calories compared to traditional recipes.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp each: ground cloves, ground nutmeg, allspice
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease muffin tins (use oil or Pam or a similar product).
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl (from flour to spices).
- In a separate large bowl, add applesauce, pumpkin, yogurt, egg and sugar. Mix well by hand or with electric mixer. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Fill 12 muffin tins with batter, top with chopped nuts if desired.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in middle of muffin comes out dry. Cool for at least 20 minutes – serve warm or at room temperature. Store extras in freezer or in a covered container for 1-3 days.
(serving size: 1 muffin)
- Calories: 120
- Carbohydrates: 23.5 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Fat: 1.4 g
Recipe provided by Gale Cohen, RD, CDE, Virtua Nutrition
Updated February 1, 2017