Sweet Potato FriesServes: 4; 1/2 cup per serving
French fries are a guilty pleasure for many individuals. But they can pack on the calories. As a healthy alternative, try using sweet potatoes instead of the regular white potatoes that many fast food restaurants use. They're not just lower in calories, they're tasty too.
- Cooking spray
- 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in strips about 4 x 1/4 x 1/4 inches. Put the sweet potatoes in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes. Stir gently to coat. Spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside, turning once with a spatula halfway through.
- Calories: 102
- Total Fat: 0 g
- Sodium: 139 mg
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Protein: 2 g
Updated September 9, 2016