Grilled Chicken with Strawberry and Pineapple Salsa
Serves 4; 3 ounces chicken and 1/2 cup salsa per serving
Grilled pineapple and fresh mint and strawberries combine with tangy lemon and a bit of hot pepper flakes to make an interesting salsa for grilled chicken.
- 1 teaspoon canola or corn oil
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, each 1/2 inch thick, patted dry
- 1 cup whole strawberries (about 5 ounces), diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium lemon
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 2 teaspoons salt-free steak seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat the grill on medium high. Brush a grill pan or grill rack with the oil. Heat the grill pan or rack on the grill for about 2 minutes, or until hot. Grill the pineapple for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly, about 2 minutes, before chopping.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the remaining salsa ingredients except the lemon. Grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest, reserving the lemon. Stir the zest and chopped pineapple into the strawberry mixture. Set aside.
Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the seasoning blend and salt. Grill for 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. Transfer to plates. Squeeze the reserved lemon over the chicken. Serve with the salsa on the side.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories: 191
- Fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 66 mg
- Protein: 27 g
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Face the Fats campaign. Recipe copyright © 2009 by the American Heart Association.
Updated June 30, 2020