Recipe for Gut Health: Chipotle Salmon and Sweet Potato Bowl
With the Omega 3s from the salmon paired with the prebiotic, antioxidant power of sweet potatoes and spinach – this bowl is the perfect marriage of healthy and flavorful. And while this dish is already impressive as is, we suggest topping it with some Greek yogurt ranch dressing to take it to another level.
- 1 large salmon fillet
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons chipotle lime seasoning
- 1 avocado
- 4 large handfuls spinach
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- Greek yogurt ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Peel each sweet potato and cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large mixing bowl, add 1 tablespoon oil and salt and whisk. Toss in sweet potato and mix until each piece is coated completely. Next, pour seasoned potatoes on one baking sheet, making sure they are spread evenly. Place in the oven.
- With your second baking sheet, place your salmon skin side down. Rub the remaining oil over your salmon fillet. Slice one lime and place on top of your salmon. Sprinkle with your chipotle lime seasoning and place in the oven next to potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender and salmon reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
- In the meantime, prep the rest of your ingredients. Slice the avocado and cut the last of the lime wedges.
- To assemble bowls: place one handful of spinach in the bottom of the bowl, a handful of sweet potatoes, a large piece of salmon fillet, a few slices of avocado, 1 to 2 tablespoons of pine nuts, one lime wedge, and a drizzle of ranch dressing.
If you’re struggling with digestive distress, Virtua’s board-certified gastroenterologists can help with the most advanced treatment options and more than 20 South Jersey locations. Learn more at virtua.org/GI.
Updated July 30, 2021